Sunday, January 31, 2016

Review: Shadow Falls Series by C.C Hunter

I'm compiling my reviews for the different books in this series to this...long post with...uuuuuh....words are failing me right now...so I'll just get on with this.  So!  This series starts with Born at Midnight where a girl with strange abilities goes to a camp with strange people who also have strange abilities.  But even here, this girl still can't fit in.  Keep in mind that the first book I read was in 2013, so the review might not be all that great....all I did was copy and paste my review from 2013...really....have fun reading my thoughts as a little squealing girl who hasn't read much...so has really low expectations...
*actually...my first review is kinda sad...even as a fourteen year old...my writing sucked.....uuuuuuuuuugh....don't look at me like that........

Born at Midnight by C.C. HunterTitle: Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1)       
Read: November 26-December 1, 2013
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Omg...that...was...awesome!  When I heard about there being a love triangle, I thought: ugh, not again...but this was pretty good.  I don't know about all the other people who read this book but, Derek was the obvious choice...well, i guess that is probably because I don't think I really got to know Lucas well though...eh...
REALLY can't wait to read the next book!!!!
____________________________________________________________________________________

Awake at Dawn by C.C. Hunter
Title: Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls, #2)    
Read: January 25-February 6, 2015
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Another great read, which I enjoyed very much!
Since I read the previous one so very long ago, and only remember the main plot, and nothing else, I think this book does a pretty good job at recapping what happened in Born at Midnight.

What I liked: Kylie started to deal with the many things in her life. Such as trying to form a stronger bond with her mother, confronting her stepdad, trying to contact her real father's parents, and what to do with Derek and Lucas. I also enjoyed reading about the many changes she underwent. They were like little puzzle pieces, and now, I'm left trying to figure out what kind of supernatural she is. I'm pretty sure it's going to be something amazing, since she's developed a certain trait from most of the supernaturals. Another thing I liked was the ending. Although it didn't wrap up the story perfectly, and it left off at an important part (I think),I liked the way it ended. It left me with just a bit of a cliffhanger enough to piqued my curiosity, and had me wondering what would happen next, but not so big, that I would go insane if I didn't find out what happens next within a day...which is good...very good.

What I disliked: the love triangle...I really, really hated this stupid, stupid love triangle. GRRR...I really want Kylie to end up with Derek. Really. But I think I'd feel bad for Lucas, and, I don't think that's going to happen, especially considering how the story ended. I think I'm going to be very disappointed. So I'm preparing myself to really look at both guys, and assure myself that whoever she ends up with, will be for the best. I wish I could tell the author to choose Derek at the end, but I know all the books are out already, so...fingers crossed I'll be ready to accept who she chooses when the time comes.
Anyway, great book, and I hope I will be reading the next one soon.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Taken at Dusk by C.C. Hunter
Title: Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls, #3)    
Read: March 22-April 2, 2015
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Hmm...actually, maybe 3.5 stars...
This book wasn't too bad, although I did like the second one better. The first one was okay, then it took me a long times to finally pick up the second one, and the second one was awesome, so when I picked up this book, I was expecting something equally good. Unfortunately I was a bit disappointed. But nonetheless, it was still okay.

WHAT I LIKED:
Kylie finally figured out what she was, so that's good...yay.
Kylie also decided on which guy to go out with, thankfully. I was so tired of reading about Kylie with one guy, and just when I started to take a liking to him, she starts having feelings for the other guy, it's infuriating! Frankly, I think she should just marry Red (he's not so bad once you get to know him) and get over it. Anyways, so now that she has picked a guy, she'd better stick to him. No more switching back and forth. I can't stand it anymore. I feel bad for the guys, one day she's friendly with Derek, then the next, she's kissing Lucas. Siiiiiiigh...

WHAT I DISLIKED:
1) The deaths. I won't say who, but I hate that people have to die. Especially when I've learned so much about them, and I get emotionally attached to them. I read to escape reality, right? In reality, people die, so when I read, I hope to escape the fact that people die all the time, everyday. So, why do stories have to have people dying too? I know everyone dies eventually, but still...why?! It's so, so sad.
2) I know that the author was trying to make things realistic so that readers can relate to it, but, honestly, I think the author didn't have to make the characters lives' that difficult. Can't a single thing go right? Yeah, so that really frustrated me.

All in all, it wasn't too bad, but it wasn't great either. I'll definitely read the next book though, because I never leave a series unfinished.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Whispers at Moonrise by C.C. Hunter
Title: Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls, #4)    
Read: May 7-15, 2015
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Like most other books, it didn't get too interesting till the halfway point, but nonetheless, I still enjoyed it.

I LIKED...

THE PACING. Events came and went so smoothly, I enjoyed it very much.

DELLA and MIRANDA. I love that Kylie has such a strong friendship with these two. The two are like opposites, where Della is almost always in a bad mood, Miranda is almost always cheerful. And the both of them together really makes the story that much better.

KYLIE FIGURING THINGS OUT. Kylie has progressed so much since the first book. She now knows with certainty what she is, and she is making her own decisions on what she believes is best. And, she is using her gifts awesomely.

I DISLIKED...

LUCAS. From the previous books, you may recall that there is a love triangle between Kylie, Derek, and Lucas. You might've already guessed that I'm totally on Derek's side on this one. Let me tell you why. Let's start with why Lucas is the wrong guy for Kylie: he has a pack that doesn't approve if him being with Kylie to the point where he pretty much ignores her. He's hardly ever there when Kylie needs him, and he can't stand spirits, and hates that Kylie has to deal with them. Oh, and he has such big commitments now...

Derek, on the other hand, is so much better. He is always there for Kylie, even when it involves spirits, he doesn't have family disapproving of their being together, and he is soo understanding. He even said "I love you" to her! Personally, I feel that Kylie is an idiot for choosing Lucas over Derek. I really really really hope that Kylie ends up with Derek at the end, if she doesn't I will either sob my eyes out, or mentally throw the book across the room. There are feelings I have about this love triangle, that I can probably never be able to voice, but suffice to say, I hope that one day, Kylie will be happy with Derek, and Derek will feel her feelings for him as strongly as he feels her feelings for Lucas now.

I am looking forward to the next, and final book, even though I know all the books have already been published, so, as much I hate it, I will just have to accept that Kylie might end up with Lucas...

 __________________________________________________________________________________

Chosen at Nightfall (Shadow Falls, #5)
Title: Chosen at Nightfall (Shadow Falls, #5)
Read: Jan 11 to 26, 2016
Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Pages: 400
Genres: fantasy, romance

Blurb from Goodreads:

"Kylie Galen's life hasn't been the same since her world was turned upside-down in Born at Midnight, Shadow Falls #1, and now an epic conclusion to her journey—not to mention a tough choice between two guys!—is brewing in Chosen at Nightfall:

When Kylie Galen left Shadow Falls, she thought it was the hardest decision of her life. Heartbroken and separated from everyone she loves, she has to embrace her abilities and what it means to be a chameleon. But as Kylie's journey comes to a close, she must return to the camp that started it all... and she must finally choose between the two boys who love her. The werewolf who broke her heart when he chose his pack over her, and the half-fae who ran from their intense attraction before they ever really had a chance. For Kylie, everything will finally be revealed and nothing will ever be the same."

Review

Okay, so first off...my review of this should look vastly different from my first one, right?  Because if it didn't, I'd be worried.  I mean, yes, I'm still often clueless about writing reviews, but I must have improved somewhat, right?

Aaaaanyways...

Complaint: Kylie.  Now this is an issue.  When you dislike the female protagonist as much as I do...it's kinda hard to enjoy the book.  Kylie is so insecure about her powers, and keeps telling herself along with everyone else that she doesn't want to be different, doesn't want to be more powerful than everyone else, doesn't want all this extra...stuff.  Okay, so normally, I wouldn't bring this up since, I'm like that....BUT, this is the fifth book, the very last book in the series...I would expect Kylie to have resolved this by now...

Approval: Problems are finally resolved!  Yes, this is the conclusion...so all, if not most of the problems should be resolved by now...even if it took 350 pages of more insecurities...but...all in all...I am so.  Relieved.  Kylie has finally gotten her happily ever after...but if you ask me...I don't think she deserves it...all she did was whine, and cry, and fret about her annoying boy problems...which brings me to my next point...
 
Complaint: ENOUGH WITH THE BOYS!  Yes, I needed to capitalize, AND bold that.  I really did.  I was so incredibly irked with these boy issues, okay!  Now...maybe I wouldn't be saying this if Kylie chose they guy I was rooting for...yeah that's probably it...but still!  So.  There is this love triangle...and in this triangle...Kylie NEEDS to choose between the Lucas, the "sexy" werewolf whom she has known since she was little, and this other guy who is a fairy she just met at camp (but was introduced from book 1).  She has been having these boy problems since book 1, peoples!  I do not need to read a few thousand pages on which guy you're going to choose...pick another obstacle to overcome.  Please.

So...here's why I'm rooting for Derek...
  • he's a really nice guy...who's also so very sweet and gentle, and kind, and charismatic, and...uh...yeah...you know what I mean...he's a nice guy...
  • he genuinely cares about her...even when it's clear she doesn't care about him anymore
  • he's always there for her.  Having a ghost carrying a head around, who also happens to stalk you?  Check.  Got a magical glowing sword you're supposed to be exceptionally good at?  Check.  Have an evil old guy who wants you to either join his evil side or watch your loved ones suffer before you die?  Yep!
  • seen as the "good guy"  and we all know the good guys never get the girl...*sigh* 
  • still wants to be friends with her even if he can't be her boyfriend
  • still helps her even when she clearly said no (I see this as a sweet thing, not a "he doesn't understand the meaning of NO")
  • did I mention he's nice? 
And here's why Lucas was the WRONG choice...
  • he pretty much got engaged, then married to another werewolf girl, and never told Kylie about it (he had his reasons, but STILL!)
  • he's never there for her!
  • he had so much to lose if he chooses his pack over her (his pack, his family, his spot on this great and powerful council, his life)
  • seen as the "bad boy"
  • Kylie goes on and on....describing his scent...baaah!  Not all guys smell like pine needles and freshly fallen snow, okay?  Let's me realistic here...even if he is a werewolf....but shh!
I know the lists don't look very extensive, but trust me, okay?  Derek would have been the better choice...would have been the best choice.  I don't even know why the blurb said that she had to choose between two guys...WHY GIVE ME HOPE?  HUH?!

Even from the third or fourth book, it seemed obvious who she was going to pick...but instead of just going with one guy...she had to go and prolong her official decision into a few more books and a few hundred more pages....uuuugh.......!  It was torture having to endure this book, knowing exactly who she's going to pick at the end.  And he's not the guy I was hoping for...*sigh*

Here's an interesting thought: I think...I may have enjoyed this book much more if I hadn't just finished reading this very high level, mature book.  Because after reading that book, my mind had gotten used to dealing with issues such as drug addiction, and history and world wars.  I guess you can say...I did not have a very smooth transition between mature reading material, and teenage angst.  I know I did say I'd like to get back to my YA novels, but THIS?  This is not what I meant.  There are so many YA novels that I've read that can do so much better than this.  I'm surprised I was even so generous as to give it 3 stars....huh.

It's such a shame, really...I like the first book quite a bit...and it just kinda deteriorated from there...oh well...at least I can be glad that this series had finally ended...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Woo! Thanks for your comment!

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com