Monday, November 2, 2015

Review: Attachments Rainbow Rowell

AttachmentsRead: Oct. 27-Nov. 2, 2015
Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Pages: 323
Genres: Romance, contemporary

Synopsis from Goodreads:

""Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you ..."

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.

When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

What would he say . . . ?
 "

My Review

This is the first Rainbow Rowell book I've read, and to be perfectly, frank, it did not leave a good impression on me. I have been meaning to read Eleanor and Park, and Fangirl, and all the more popular Rowell books, but somehow, this one seemed more intriguing than the rest, so...here I am...reviewing this one...hmm...

So instead of starting things off with excitement, humour, and everything else I've been expecting, and promised, it started off kind of tame. Which was very disappointing. Okay, fine...I've read books that didn't start out very interesting but turned out to be fantastic. I kept reading...and reading, and reading...it didn't get that much more interesting, unfortunately.

I'm still not quite sure how I the ending affected me...it's not as well as I'd hoped...I mean, the entire synopsis practically revolved around how Lincoln was going to approach this Beth lady. Although he doesn't actually make contact with her until the last 14 pages of the book. I kid you not. Yes, this book is 300 something pages long, and yes, they don't actually make contact until the last few pages of the book. It's irking. Also, until I got to those last 14 pages, I was starting to think the author tricked me, and the whole novel was about how Lincoln could never muster enough courage to talk to Beth...ugh...

The ending also confused me, it wasn't the grand conclusion I'd been (still) expecting, it just left off with this confusing dialogue. Now, it's totally possible that I'm just dimwitted and didn't get it, but...I didn't get it. And that frustrated me.

The only GOOD thing I can think about for this book is that it was different, and the chapters were short (89 chapters). It was different because Beth's side of the story was only told through the emails that Lincoln read, and as for the chapters...well, I love my short chapters, it makes the book fly by much quicker...all that...plus, the characters were occasionally mildly amusing, which was nice.

Really and truly, I don't know if I'll be reading another Rowell book anytime soon...I was expecting so much from this one, and it just fell through...I suppose Rowell's other books like Fangirl and Eleanor and Park are more popular for a reason, but I'm not sure if I can bring myself to reading anymore of this...

MY QUESTION FOR YOU: did you ever start reading a book with high expectations, only to be disappointed...?  If so (I'm pretty sure you ALL do), which book?  If not...well...say "hi" or something...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Woo! Thanks for your comment!

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com