Monday, November 30, 2015

Songs and Their Meanings...

Hello peoples!  So...being the average sixteen year old girl I am, I listen to music.  Well, I don't listen to music from my phone or ipod...no earbuds for me...apparently they're bad for my ears.  These ears of mine have to last me my whole life.

Here's a little fact for you...or a few pieces of facts...did you know that you have this organ in your ear called the cochlea?  And in this cochlea, you have thousands of hair cells (neural receptors) that detect sound and convey them to your brain?  Without these very important hair cells to convey sounds to electrical signals, you CAN'T hear. 

And here's the best part, ready? 

These hair cells do NOT regenerate.  Meaning: you damage them, and they're never going to magically revive themselves...they won't go though mitosis and grow again.  They won't. 

These hair cells are so easy to damage.  Too easy...they can be damaged by loud explosions, or continuous exposure to loud sounds.  Allow me to list some examples for you...
  • playing in a band
  • attending loud concerts
  • lawnmowers
  • and let's not forget the most important one:  listening to music through earbuds or headphones for extended periods of time... 
Case in point: can we keep it down, please?  I'm terribly afraid of loud noises (okay, so I jump at loud sneezes, and I know, believe me, I KNOW, it's unfair to ask people to sneeze quieter), and it would be so nice to not be jumping at every loud sound...but of course, that's too much to ask, isn't?

...so assuming I live a long life (I'm hoping for at least 80?) I want to take good care of them.  But, even though I may not constantly have earbuds plugged in my ear, I do however, love listening to the radio...

Some of my favourite stations in no particular order:

  • 94.5...this one claims to be Vancouver's #1 Hit Music Station

  • 95.3...and this one claims to be Vancouver's Best Mix

  • 106.5...supposedly plays "Uplifting and Encouraging" music, or...Christian songs...

Anyhoo...in no order in particular (again), here's a list of songs that I have special meanings and experiences associated with...

  • Locked Away by R. City and Adam Levine...sooo, this is where I hesitantly admit that I'm still thinking about the best two weeks I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing back in summer...(My Most Memorable Summer in the History of Memorable Summers.... (part 2: August) ) Yes, there are many things that remind me of that wonderful time, such as garbage cans, which in case you haven't noticed, are everywhere.  EVERYWHERE, I tell you.  Ugh...torture...I remember those days, when I always swept near the slurpee place, and they would always play this song...GAH!  I still wish that day would never end...but it did...sad...

My favourite lines (chorus):

If I got locked away
And we lost it all today
Tell me honestly, would you still love me the same?
If I showed you my flaws
If I couldn't be strong
Tell me honestly, would you still love me the same?

  • Demons by Imagine Dragons...I remember hearing this song for the first time, and being instantly attracted to the tune.  The tune reminded me of this book I read back in grade seven called The Wizard Heir.  This may have been one of the first YA books I've read, and I may have had a minor attraction to one of the characters...but really, I was in grade seven, so don't you dare go on teasing me about this...somehow, this song elicited memories that used to make me get a bit teary eyed.

No favourite line for this one...I love them all!
  • Secrets by OneRepublic...the first time I heard this song was back in grade nine, I think.  There was a guy with a guitar, and two girls singing, I think.  Back then, I had no idea what this song was called, let alone who sung it, but I knew I loved the lyrics.  I went back home and searched it up that very night.  I really wish the radio stations would play this song more often.  OneRepublic's other song, Counting Stars, on the other hand, have been played plenty of times...how is this fair?  Also...as of a few months ago, this song also has a new meaning for me as well...

Favourite lines (besides the chorus):

Oh, got no reason, got no shame
Got no family I can't blame
Just don't let me disappear
I'mma tell you everything
  • Whom Shall I Fear by Chris Tomlin...I heard this song one day while I was in Church, and fell in love with it almost immediately.  It's a beautiful song, and I've been singing it quite a bit.

My favourite lines (chorus):
I know who goes before me
I know who stands behind
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side

The one who reigns forever
He is a friend of mine
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side
  • Jar of Hearts/Human/Arms/The Words/Be My Forever by Christian Perri...so, here's yet another few songs that remind me of that lovely time I had back in summer.  One of the concert nights featured Christina Perri, who I guess it most widely known for her song A Thousand Years...?  Well, that was the only song I knew she sung, until that fateful night I sat there in the pouring rain (yes, it was pouring, and I was soaked, but it was worth it), listening to her sing.  I sat there with my sister singing and enjoying the beautiful music as much as humanly possible.  That very night I discovered some of my now favourite songs.  I won't list them all, but here's a few...

Jar of Hearts:

Favourite lines (chorus):

Who do you think you are?
Runnin' 'round leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart
You're gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul
So don't come back for me
Who do you think you are?

Human:

Favourite lines (chorus):

But I’m only human
And I bleed when I fall down
I’m only human
And I crash and I break down
Your words in my head, knives in my heart
You build me up and then I fall apart

Arms:
Favourite lines (chorus):
You put your arms around me
And I believe that it's easier for you to let me go
You put your arms around me and I'm home


The Words:

Favourite lines (chorus):

And I know
The scariest part is letting go
'Cause love is a ghost you can't control
I promise you the truth can't hurt us now
So let the words slip out of your mouth

Be My Forever:
 
Favourite lines (chorus):

And oh we got time, yeah
So darling just say you'll stay
Right by my side
And oh we got love, yeah
So darling just swear you'll stand right by my side

For some strange reason...Arms, The Words, and Be My Forever have given me this unusual urge to tear up right now...*sniff sniff*  Excuse me for a moment...

Oh...sigh...memorable memories and strong feelings do not go well together, especially in large amounts...these lyrics...these tunes...these memories!  Hearing some of these songs...it's just...siiiigh...
  • Cornerstone by Hillsong...another Christian song I absolutely adore.  I sing this song in church sometimes...and my mom tells me to sing louder because she knows I love to sing and thinks I've been gifted with a beautiful voice...HA.

Favourite lines (chorus):

Christ alone, cornerstone
Weak made strong, in the Savior's love
Through the storm
He is Lord, Lord of all
  • All of Me by John Legend...I remember hearing this song for the first time when I was drifting in and out of sleep during a car ride to The Keg.  It was a sunny day, and I was tired...I think.  I remember thinking, well, I don't know who sang this song, but it sounds nice...a few months later, my mom heard it on the radio, and fell head over heels for it.  She's been encouraging me to play it on the piano so she can sing along.  I've managed two pages worth of the song...but then school had other plans for me...
Favourite lines:
How many times do I have to tell you
Even when you’re crying you’re beautiful too
The world is beating you down, I’m around through every move
You’re my downfall, you’re my muse
My worst distraction, my rhythm and blues
I can’t stop singing, it’s ringing, in my head for you
and

Cards on the table, we’re both showing hearts
Risking it all, though it’s hard
  • Waka Waka by Shakira...this was the song I danced to last year, although I used the Spanish version of the song.  Gosh, I really liked the choreography...and the dance was African and had this tribal feeling to it, which was something new, but definitely something I enjoyed.  Have you ever seen a wild, crazy version of me dancing my heart out?  I hear it's a sight to behold...

My favourite lines (chorus):

Samina mina ¡eh! ¡eh!
waka waka ¡eh! ¡eh!
samina mina Zangalewa
porque esto es África.
  • Take me to Church by Hozier...for this song...I'm not too sure if it was the words or the tune that first attracted my attention, but suffice to say, both are amazing.  Also, this video here is...interesting...no?  And, no...that's not Hozier, in case you're wondering...

My favourite lines (chorus):

Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life


A few other songs I thought I should mention...you know those songs that are seem to always be playing on the radio...?  I've even caught two radio stations playing the same songs at the same time!  I mean, I feel as if someone is trying to send me a message saying, you WILL listen to this song. 

Most of these songs are Taylor Swift's...namely, Bad Blood, Shake it Off, Style, and Blank Space.  I think her newest song is Wildest Dreams...?  That song I haven't gotten tired of hearing yet (but it's just a matter of time, isn't?), it's quite lovely, and reminds me of Young and Beautiful by Lana Del Ray...

There are plenty more songs that hold a special place in my heart, but I won't continue listing them, because that might take awhile...

Although...some honorable mentions include...Hello by Adele, and Young and Beautiful by Lana Del Ray...

Okay...so...confession time, yes?

Ever since I was...nine or ten years of age, I've always wanted to be a...a singer.

There I said it.

Laugh all you want, and maybe now that I've "grown up" I've given up on that dream because I know how ridiculously hard and unrealistic it is for a person like me to ever achieve something like that...that's right...I'm trying to be a pragmatist.  You're welcome to pat me on the back and tell me I've made the right choice now...

But really...there might be this very small, very infinitesimally miniscule part of me...that still hopes, dreams of being this famous singer one day...

Welllllllll...I still sing, so don't start taking pity on me and giving me these pitiful looks, okay?  I sing, like...a lot.  Underground parking lots, showers, empty school hallways, at home, you name it...except school.  I don't sing there...too many people who I need to see for another few more months.

And now...the question some of you may be thinking: do I have a nice singing voice?  Well...I don't know...isn't that for YOU to decide?  I have been told that I "...have a lovely high and melodious soprano voice that should be put to good use in a choir (I actually have been in a choir...in my school, for a year) or a church...".  Well...hmm...I can scream very loud and high, does that count?  :)

Does my regular voice differ from my singing voice...?  Well...I guess that's for me to know, and for you to ponder.


What songs do you listen to?  Do they have any special meaning(s) to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Woo! Thanks for your comment!

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com