Saturday, October 1, 2016

Review: Fifteen Lanes by S.J. Laidlaw


Read: Aug. 6-15, 2016
Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Format: hardcover, 304 pages
Publisher: Tundra Books, April 2016
Genres: realistic fiction, cultural (India)

Blurb from Goodreads:

"Noor has lived all of her fourteen years in the fifteen lanes of Mumbai’s red light district. Born into a brothel, she is destined for the same fate as her mother: a desperate life trapped in the city’s sex trade. She must act soon to have any chance of escaping this grim future.
Across the sprawling city, fifteen-year-old Grace enjoys a life of privilege. Her father, the CEO of one of India’s largest international banks, has brought his family to Mumbai where they live in unparalleled luxury. But Grace’s seemingly perfect life is shattered when she becomes a victim of a cruel online attack.
When their paths intersect, Noor and Grace will be changed forever. Can two girls living in vastly different worlds find a common path?
Award-winning author S.J. Laidlaw masterfully weaves together their stories in a way that resonates across class and culture.Fifteen Lanes boldly explores the ties that bind us to places and people, and shows us that the strongest of bonds can be forged when hope is all but lost."





This book was......actually, pretty amazing.

Before this book, I've never read a story set in India, they've always been set somewhere in North America, about some white people.....not that that's a particularly bad thing! But, you know....I was just.....pointing it out. I know there's this whole....read diversely thing....and um....I never really paid much attention to it, but after this book, I think I will.

Thank you LibraryThing, for giving me this copy!

Anyways....two girls. One, a shy girl living in the....richer parts of India, who made a mistake. And another girl, the daughter of a person working illegally in a brothel, living in one of the poorest parts of India. Any BY SOME MIRACLE....they meet! And they help each other out! Yay! Go them!

I absolutely adored this book! Not only did I get to enjoy a snippet of what life can be like in India....I also got a little taste of the kinds of food they eat and the traditions and day to day life of these people!

I loved reading about the lives of these girls.....okay, did that sound a little creepy to you, or is it just me?

Anyhooo! Loved this book! The characters were awesome and I really grew to love them.....which was great! Or....not so great....I want another book! Gimme!

Ever read a novel set in India?
Was it good?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Woo! Thanks for your comment!

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com