Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Review: Finding Paris by Joy Preble

Finding Paris
Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Read: Oct.6-13, 2015
Pages: 272
Genres: action, contemporary, mystery

Synopsis from Goodreads:

"Sisters Leo and Paris Hollings have only ever had each other to rely on. They can't trust their mother, who hops from city to city and from guy to guy, or their gambler stepfather, who's moved them all to Las Vegas. It's just the two of them: Paris, who's always been the dreamer, and Leo, who has a real future in mind—going to Stanford, becoming a doctor, falling in love. But Leo isn't going anywhere right now, except driving around Vegas all night with her sister.

Until Paris ditches Leo at the Heartbreak Hotel Diner, where moments before they had been talking with physics student Max Sullivan. Outside, Leo finds a cryptic note from Paris—a clue. Is it some kind of game? Where is Paris, and why has she disappeared? When Leo reluctantly accepts Max's offer of help, the two find themselves following a string of clues through Vegas and beyond. But the search for the truth is not a straight line. And neither is the path to secrets Leo and Max hold inside.
"

Review

I received this book as a galley (ARC) and it was signed by the author, and she even included this super cool bookmark that had the cover on it.  Anyways, I was reading this in school one day in English and guess what?  My teacher saw my bookmark and felt the need to point out to the class that I had a cool bookmark.  Then he noticed the cover, which had a "Uncorrected Proof NOT FOR SALE" sign on the top corner of the book, and also felt the need to show the world.  Then, as if I didn't have enough attention on me, he had to flip to the page with the autograph from the author, and you know what he did after he saw it?  He showed it to the class...Anyhoo...

I obtained this book ages ago, but only now decided to read it...oops.

...but I'm soo glad I did!  This book was amazing, and I'm not too sure what else to say besides that.  I was so engrossed in this book I was neglecting my schoolwork, so I had to torture myself by putting the book down and forcing myself to read another book, one that wasn't as interesting.

...and when I finally picked it up again, I finished it within minutes.  It was so goooood!  And, because I had to share the love, and make other people moan over the fact that I don't think there will be a sequel to this book, I gave it to my sister and told her enough to make her want to read it.  She read it!  And she loved it!  She brought it to school, and her friend saw her reading it, and she read a few pages, and wanted to keep reading it!  Woo!

Paris and Leo really reminded me of my sister and I.  Wherein I would be Leo, the nerd, and my sister would be the popular one.

Now we all know that no book is perfect, so allow me to let my picky side out...

Reading the majority of the book, and thinking this book was too good to be true, was, actually, to good to be true.  I was reaching the last 50 pages or so, when I started to get excited and confused at the same time.  I knew something vital was happening, and all the characters were figuring things out, so I was trying my best to keep up with them.  Eventually, they figured out what was happening, but I was left in the dust for awhile.  I was so confused, when all the characters were celebrating their victory.  Highlight blanks to read spoilers  --->In the end, Leo discovers that Paris never left Las Vegas, and goes back to confront her.  I believe Leo thinks that Pairs has been sexually harassed by their step father, Tommy.  But somehow, she realizes that Paris is not the one needing help, it's her.  Which is why Paris thought it was a good idea to send Leo, and Max away.  So, if I have my facts straight, I believe that Leo was the one being sexually harassed, not Paris.

If you ignore my little picky bits, which you probably should, this book is indeed a great book.  AND YOU SHOULD READ IT.

Question Time!

Do you have any autographed books from authors?  If so, how many?  Do you ever buy a book, only to read it eons later? 
Leave a comment below!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Woo! Thanks for your comment!

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com