Saturday, August 29, 2015

Once Upon A Time In French Class...

Here's something I wrote way back on June 5th, but I decided that I had better things to do like reading, and eating, and did I mention reading? was busy with exams and later summer school.  I was bored out of my mind today and was sitting on the floor, staring at the wall and waiting for something interesting to happen found some time on my hands today, and decided to catch up on some posts so...

Today in French, the day was starting out as expected.  Until my French teacher mentioned something that really made me snap.  Although not in an angry way.  The way where it pulls at your heartstrings and makes you cry. 

What he said, reached deep into my heart and struck a sensitive chord.  I felt the unexpected tears forming in my eyes a moment later.  I quickly blinked to rid myself of my humiliating tears.  Who wants to see an unstable girl, crying? 

No one. 

People already think girls are too sensitive as it is.  No need adding more fuel to the fire.  Ready to know what it is that he said?  Well, let me tell you...

Last class, we had a substitute because our teacher couldn't make it for some reason.  So today, he revealed why. 

He was at his daughter's kindergarten orientation.

Now that news by itself it just that.  News.  But coupled with the fact that I am a sensitive girl (at times), and that I was going through a tough period* at the time made it more than just "news".

*No no...not that kind of period...not the one that's unique to females, I mean the other one, the one where it refers to a certain time frame and,—oh!  You know what I mean...

So...after listening to what my French teacher had to say about his absence, I couldn't help but get all teary...to paraphrase what he said...

...I'm not missing my daughter's orientation for anything in the world.  You kids are important to me, but my daughter is more important.  In fact, if an earthquake were to strike at any given moment, whether I'm in the shower or wearing nothing but socks and pants, I would drop everything and get on my bike and rush to my daughter ASAP.  And if something were to happen to my bike, I would run like I've never run before.  I would book it, and screw everything else that gets in the way between my daughter and me.  I love my daughter more than anything else in the world, and whoever is stupid enough to get in my way...well...let's just say they won't live to tell the tale.  Anyhoo. Everyone get out your papers, we're having our daily quiz!

 
Do you see?  DO YOU SEE?! How can a person not get teary eyed over that?!  I suppose if you haven't, then...that's that.  BUT!  That's only half the story...let me explain why it affected me the way it did...

As you know, my family has family problems (who's doesn't?)...if you don't, you know now.  So when our teacher started giving his spiel about how much he loves his daughter, I got to thinking if my dad would drop everything, and come get his daughter (me)...or his other daughter...or his son.  And the sad thing is: I couldn't imagine him doing it. 

A few days later, I actually asked my dad, subtly of course, what he would do, if there was a devastatingly catastrophic earthquake. 

Because I know my dad, I had a feeling that he was going to say something pragmatic, or something about his phone, or maybe some other egotistical, self-seeking parsimony.  You wanna know what he said?  Or if my feeling of him was correct? 

You don't.

It's too sad.  And having me relive it by explaining it would be torture

 
Just writing this post made me shed a few tears...
 

*sigh*

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm sorry you're having a bad time, Elizabeth. This is really sad. The French teacher story is super sweet though and I'm glad he's there for his daughter. I hope things improve between your dad and you sometime?
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you from the bottom of my fat and chubby heart.

      Delete

Woo! Thanks for your comment!

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com